10.18.2009

Dinosaur Jr. @ Headliners Music Hall, Louisville


Dinosaur Jr., Lou Barlow and The Missingmen
Friday, October 16, 2009
Headliners Music Hall
Better than: Any experience in my life leading up to this show.

One thing I've learned about Headliners is that they really don't give a shit about your age. Although, it's not particularly a bad thing; eighteen and over shows should be banished altogether. Really, why? No one's buying beer with their little wristbands and hand stamps; no underage child is going to go home drunk. It seems that there is an unfair prejudice against people under 18, and with a band like Dinosaur Jr. arriving in town, the hate should stop here. To my absolute pleasure, it did. Eighteen or no, I got through that door.

The only downside to my experience was arriving extremely late. I missed Lou Barlow and The Missingmen's set -a total bummer because this time, I actually wanted to see the opening act. But my absence was made up for (see paragraph 4) and I believe it was well deserved. After all, who can deny the significance of flowers? Carrying a bouquet around a gig is a sure way to get noticed, at least; making friends this night was far from avoidable. It's nice being able to charm your way to the front.

Around came 9:00 and J Mascis took the stage, unnatural platinum hair swaying side to side with awkward bluesy sound checks and all. I never expected to take J for a bashful guy, but aside from mumbled thanks in between songs, he said nothing the entire set (this, of course, assuming he sang lyrics.) But modesty aside, the set list was insane. Predictably, tracks from Farm took up a good portion of the night -"I Don't Want to Go There" included an extended jam, along with a funky version of "Over It" and the record's catchy opener, "Pieces." But old school Dino fans got their treat as well. You're Living All Over Me's "Little Fury Things," Bug's "Freak Scene" and the popular "Feel the Pain" of Without a Sound were also honored. Keep in mind (for those who aren't familiar with the band) Lou Barlow is in Dinosaur Jr., even though he also produces solo work and was one of the founding members of Sebadoh. For the record, I freaking love Sebadoh. And deciding whether my bouquet should be given to J Mascis or Lou was an epic on its own. This, along with a few drunken dancing wash-ups, was my only distraction of the night.

It turns out my internal conflict was decided for me. Immediately proceeding the show, J Mascis hightailed to the tour bus and never came out, no answer to my urgent knocks and still no Lou to be seen. As with the Melvins, I figured lurking near the backside of the building was my best option, so I shot the breeze with some of Lou's old college friends, one of whom stole part of my heart.*
The whole ordeal lasted for at least two hours after the show had ended, but in the end Lou got my flowers and he wrote me a note in thanks. It was actually the first time I've had a real conversation with one of my underground heroes. And I didn't cry this time. It's not like I try to be the creepy fan chick anyway, it just comes naturally. But we'll see how long this newfound coolness fairs. Meat Puppets are hitting Headliners Nov. 17th. You bet your ass I'm there.


*TOM IF YOU SEE THIS POST, CALL ME.

4 comments:

  1. Meanwhile in Europe, every satanic metal show comes with a standard helping of black-clad 14 year olds and yes they get served at the bar.

    No minimum age system. Not that it's not enforced, it's just never been implemented. Never had or gave problems as a young-un and young-uns don't have or give us any trouble now either.

    Write to your congress(wo)man now and abolish discrimination of minors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello.
    I enjoy your blog and dug this review of the Dino gig. Wish I coulda' gone but I had just seen them a few months prior and found myself out of town at the time. Mixed bag of regret, there......

    I have discounted tickets for the Meat Puppets gig for friends and such- you're welcome to one. Message if you haven't bought a ticket already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wish I would've seen your comment earlier!
    Unfortunately, I couldn't make the show anyway. I'm really disappointed, but at least I still have their Waterfront show to reminisce-
    even though I was looking for forward to seeing them again, with the addition of your band. Let me know next time Lucky Pineapple has a show in town, maybe you'll have some discounted tickets then. ;)

    much appreciate the offer, though!

    ReplyDelete