12.29.2009

Huevos's Best Records of 2009

Although not taken kindly to by my Imprint staff, I still hold strong to my year's end list. It's good to know there's no prejudice here against things that people would consider 'too obscure,' even though some of these results are pretty obvious (i.e. Embryonic or Merriweather) But even so, I did try to include albums I believe to be wildly underrated and unfairly overlooked during the passing year. And even though this may be what's posted, there is always an underlying feeling I've forgotten something, so be sure to tell me yours!

10.
Akron/Family
Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free





9.
Blackout Beach
Skin of Evil





8.
Built to Spill
There is No Enemy





7.
Monsters of Folk
Monsters of Folk





6.
Yo La Tengo
Popular Songs





5.
Tom Waits
Glitter and Doom Live





4.
Dinosaur Jr.
Farm





3.
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart





2.
The Flaming Lips
Embryonic





1.
Animal Collective
Merriweather Post Pavilion





Honorable Mentions
Big Business- Mind the Drift
Meat Puppets- Sewn Together
El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez-Lopez- Cryptomnesia
Antony and the Johnsons- The Crying Light
Bat for Lashes- Two Suns
The Bad Plus- For All I Care
Tortoise- Beacons of Ancestorship

9 comments:

  1. The Imprint keeping your musical genius down! Luckily here we are too dependent on you for our music so we would never dare to criticise.

    The only album from your list that I know is, obviously, The Pains, and it would rank pretty high, probably #1, on any list I'd make. Still I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make one, it is so difficult!

    Thank you for this year introducing me to The Smiths and Morrissey for the first time. The Queen is Dead and I have gotten especially close this last month and I owe that largely to you.

    Please, if you do not know Antony and the Johnsons yet, they should intrigue you too. You can get an album newly posted on my blawg.

    Cheers. :) I hope you have a great 2010 with lots of new musical discoveries and great concerts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahhahhahahha way to base all your choices off pitchfork. so lame

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping someone would catch that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if all the other kids in fourth period didn't like it, I know I did. They just don't want to broaden their horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and this is why I love you, Stephanie<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that For All I Care is worth an honorable mention but not a spot on the real list. I felt rather disappointed with the addition of a vocalist. Not that she's bad, but it didn't really jive with the Plus. What do you think of that one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've kind of wondered how the Plus would sound with the addition of some brass. Dave King's band Happy Apple sort of touches on that sound, but there's definitely a difference between that and the actual Bad Plus. I think For All I Care is fantastic as an initial foray into vocals, even though I probably wouldn't want another album like it. I guess it sticks with me because it's so much more different than I would have expected. And their cover of the Flaming Lips is fucking beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big fan of brass, so I know what you mean! I hope they keep mixing it up for future releases.

    ReplyDelete