1.29.2010

The DarkSide of the Wall @ The Brown Theater, Louisville



The DarkSide of the Wall
Saturday, January 23rd, 2010
The Brown Theater
Better Than: Going to the dentist...?

I have spent at least ten minutes trying to remember what music I listened to in middle school through freshmen year of high school, and the only thing that prominently comes to mind are the words Pink Floyd. This is when I realized that through that entire period of my life I listened to virtually nothing else. There may be a foggy memory of Dinosaur Jr's Green Mind, or a Mars Volta album somewhere in the mix, but as far back as I can remember (and that's not very far), I lost my entire middle school/9th grade years to Pink Floyd, and there's no regret there. I've benefited from the binge. From an exhausting knowledge of their catalog, to a growing affection that becomes stronger as the years go by, I find that having such a strong connection to a band is like having affection for a kitten: it's unconditional. Even if they may piss on your rug that really tied the room together (Momentary Lapse of Reason, ahem), or split up because one of the members is a little bitch, you find a way to overlook that flaw. The great thing about having this affection for such a high capacity band like Pink Floyd is that there are so many different albums, eras, and sounds to get into at once. You're never left bored or pining for more; it is emotionally, physically (and maybe a little sexually) satisfying. The downside to liking a band like Floyd, though, is that two very significant members are already dead. Syd Barrett may have been kicked out of the troupe earlier on, but it doesn't stop that part of Pink Floyd from being totally irreplaceable. And speaking of which, how are we supposed to expect a reunion now that Richard Wright is dead? This is where tribute bands come into the equation.

There's always been a sort of 50/50 love-hate affection I've had with tribute bands, but when your long time favorite band is slowly dying off, sometimes you have no other choice, especially when you long to hear that music amplified to a live capacity. I've seen The Pink Floyd Experience twice: four years ago in Huntington, West Virginia and roughly one year ago while residing in Louisville. Both sets where sensually satisfying, but not because they played "Wish You Were Here"- in fact, they didn't play it at all. They were satisfying because they took time to cover virtually every era of Floyd, cascading from the late Division Bell to the ancient jam tune known as "Astronomy Domine." No Floyd was left behind. So after seeing this band twice, I've had pretty high expectations when it comes to these kinds of concerts.

The DarkSide of the Wall is a Louisville-based band consisting of what the website claims as "some of the top music and production talent in the region." Unfortunately, there is a difference between being exceptional and genuine. I totally understand the concept of playing what the crowd may want to hear, but sometimes the crowd isn't all middle aged washups. Perhaps there are eager high school girls crammed between drunkards who simply wish to hear a song from Obscured by Clouds, or maybe just a couple tracks from Relics. It's hardly a selfish thing to ask for; after all, why would we want to hear songs we hear consistently on 107.7 anyway? No luck. It was all strictly Dark Side and The Wall as their name so fittingly proclaims. Although I have no complaints about hearing "Welcome to the Machine" or "Pigs," I just kind of wished there would be more variety. You would be considered naive to think this set list did any justice.
But the set list wasn't the only problem I noticed with the band. There were several instances during the show where specific guitar solos were omitted in replacement for vocal solos instead. Take the second acoustic solo in "Wish You Were Here," the glorious moment when David Gilmour scat vocals with his guitar: completely ignored here. It's almost like the guitar player was either too stupid or too lazy to learn the solo. Even I know how to play that solo. I also noticed a problem with the band's guitar tones, specifically on songs like "Run Like Hell" or "Pigs" where the initial guitar tone is absolutely key. I've listened to these songs enough to know a wrong tone when I hear one. As opposed to the hollow and twang-like tone used in these tracks, the band adapted a more heavy and almost metalesque sound that didn't work well with the music they were supposed to be playing. The lead guitarist was also prone to jumping around the stage as if in a slow motion mosh pit, something I've never seen David Gilmour do on stage before. His only job is to play and look cute!

I feel I could fill up another paragraph or so about how I was close to walking out mid-show or about the sloppy vocals on "The Great Gig in the Sky," but I guess I should have seen this coming. I can't expect less-than-perfect musicians to give me the absolutely perfect show that I want. That's not what a tribute band is about. They may know how to play all the notes and use all the right lights at the right time, but it all comes down to the fact that it's not Floyd. Not even close. These are merely people like me, committed in their fanship, just in a different way. I know I wasn't fortunate enough to be born in a time where a Pink Floyd tour was the norm, but I wish that I could at least have a taste. Just a little bite.

15 comments:

  1. thank yew. I'll take note to do research before I waste my money like that again. That ten dollars could have surely gone somewhere more useful, ya know, like a dime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review. i'm a massive pink floyd fan myself so it's always nice to see someone else's take on them. also, love the big lebowski "rug" reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://autistictheater.blogspot.com

    is what i meant to say....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we cant please everyone but we try. The guitar tone you are talking about has been noted by the band. Getting that Gilmour tone it tough and expensive. This being our 4th show ever should be taken in to consideration as well.

    I have heard the show and I cant think of one single thing that would cause someone to walk out. If you are looking for a 100% pure Floyd show you need a time machine.

    Next show hit me up at idontknow@insightbb.com and I will be happy to air your issues with the band. I have heard nothing but accolades and believe me when it comes to the set list there is only so much time and we have found that echoes and other less known songs dont go over well with the crowd. I want to do Remember a day and some earlier Barret tunes. When we look at what time we have and what we feel we HAVE to play it doesnt leave much choice. Not yet anyway.

    Sorry you didnt dig it and hope that you give us another chance. I know you said something about seeing us in another state. We have never played outside Louisville and the whole band has only been together for 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also it should be noted that the guitar player skipped the solo during that scatting part not because he was stupid or lazy. He came in the band at the last moment and had to crunch to learn the material. The show must go on though right ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha, totally. Don't take the things I say too hard. I may try to seem professional, but I'm still a bitchy teenager at heart.

    The Pink Floyd Experience is a different tribute band that tours around the midwest/east coast. I've seen them twice, so my expectations for a tribute show was pretty high anyway. And it goes without saying that I don't expect 100% Floyd. I think you misunderstood my analogy in the last paragraph.

    Don't know if I'll be attending another show, though. If it's anything like last time, probably not, sorry bro. A lot of it also had to do with the shitty fan base that attended that night.
    I understand the pressure to play songs that you may feel like you HAVE to play, but the prior tribute shows I've seen both pleased the crowd and explored different eras of the band's music, without resorting to the Floyd typicals. I haven't heard people scream like that since I saw Avril Lavigne in 5th grade. They were like fuckin tweens, except they all had full-time jobs and college degrees.
    But hey, if you're talking about "Remember a Day," I'd probably consider coming to another show. Although, at this point you could care less. I bet the publicity is nice, though. Don't you think?

    It's good to hear from you, and I'm glad you were able to see some input, even if it was something you didn't want to hear. Just being honest, man.
    Thanks for clarifying for your guitarist and tones. Believe it or not, I can be sympathetic too.
    Keep it up, and best of luck to your band. Nothing wrong with ya, I'm just a snob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is quite ok. We need feedback good and bad and it doesnt bother me in the least on a professional level. What songs did the other floyd bands play by the way ? If you say that people responded well to them then it gives me a reason to suggest them to everyone. Darkside of the moon is a good 45 minutes and playing that is a given and at the most we are going to play for 2 and 1/2 hours. Shine on your crazy diamond is another given and that is 15 so there is one hour right there. I would love to do fat old sun and too many other "non standards" to name. See Emily Play.. I could go on and on.

    We did echos before but nixed it to make more room for wall stuff.

    I appreciate your direct honesty. I would rather hear an honest opinion that isnt favorable than have someone blow smoke up our ........

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to have an old review with their set list, but it's since been deleted. I remember "Let There Be More Light," "Astronomy Domine," "Echoes," (a shortened version, of course, "Dogs," "Goodbye Blue Sky," (in addition to few other songs from The Wall and Dark Side), "Interstellar Overdrive," (again, a little shortened), "Scarecrow," "Keep Talking," "Sheep," and uhhhhm, shit- I wish I would have saved that review.
    With the Syd stuff aside, you should do some songs from The Division Bell, too. It may not be a crowd favorite, but I still think it's wildy underrated. Overall, most of the songs from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn got the most excitement from the audience. It would rule if you played some of that stuff; I'm sure people can wait it out before you play "Wish You Were Here" again.
    Also, I will always have no opposition to hearing "Shine on You Crazy Diamond," or "Pigs" again, which were my two favs from your set list.
    You might as well play Animals in its entirety too, haha. ;p
    Hope this helped!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go to a David Gilmour concert if you have the chance, that's the closest you will get to real Pink Floyd! Watch the Live at Gdansk, it's amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen bits and pieces of it on VH1 Classic, but I've wanted to actually buy it for a while. I think I remember seeing him play "Wots...uh the Deal" and it was the most incredible thing I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only truly great trib band I have ever seen is The Musical Box. I had read that they had received a benediction from Gabriel and Collins themselves, even throwing a few original props their way. so I though it might be good. My wife at the time had never saw any of these bands b.i.t.d.
    They were incredible. She was sutiably impressed. The Musical Box are truly the exception though.

    I saw most of the bands you yearn after like Floyd in those daze indeed.
    Floyd blew our frazzled, substance abused, little lids right off. There had been nothing like them up to that point.
    I remember seeing a DVD of Pompeii somewhere in my travels over the past month. Grab that if you want to see what the band was really about before corporate success overtook them.

    Who else do I remember as being ground shaking?
    Yes, Genesis, and oddly enough, Alice Cooper.
    Mind you, I never saw Zeppelin in their prime and I was too young for4 Hendrix when he came through Toronto. There are a few that I cannot add to my list who should be there I suppose.

    I consider myself truly blessed to have grown up in the era, even if I did not live in NYC or Frisco or LA. Toronto was a regular stop on all the tours so it was cool.

    These daze I love the fact that people your age recognise the excellence of it all. My step-daughter listened to Tool and NIN coming up but she also listened to Hendrix and Zepp once she realised who they were and what I had in my collection. She was no dummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Four words: The Australian Pink Floyd.

    I too went through a huge Floyd phase in middle-thru-high school, becoming obsessed with the minute details of their tone and timing, and was completely overjoyed when I saw Aussie Floyd live in 2008. Every tone was exact (I almost cried when I heard the snare drum), every solo was perfect... The only noticeable difference came in the tones of the singers' voices, and even then it was remarkably close (the fact that they have aussie accents helps a lot).

    And their stage props were amazing! Original Pink Floyd videos and recreations of old animations on a big round screen above the band, in addition to other things... Granted, they did mess with the animations a bit, substituting a kangaroo for the main character in many cases. But those changes were totally acceptable in context.

    And lastly, but bestly, they played old songs. They played new songs. Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine made it in as well as Fearless and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. Of course they played the hits too, but no matter what era they were pulling music from, it was an almost exact recreation. I was blown away.

    GO SEE THEM if you get the chance. Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need a ticket for Saturday (Feb 19) show but I can't find a place to purchase them. It's not showing up on ticketmaster.

    ReplyDelete
  15. But did any of you see them last night?

    ReplyDelete